A 10-day-long Indian festival, Ganesh Chaturthi is a popular festival that brings wisdom and knowledge. People are eagerly waiting for this festival. The colourful decoration, music, dance, and magnificent idols of Lord Ganesha are something that awe-struck you with its tremendousness.
As big as this festival is, it is also quite obvious that the waste generated from the festival is in great quantity. But now people are becoming more aware of the hazardous effects of the waste generated. For the past few years, people have taken the initiative to celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi in an eco-friendly manner. From eco-friendly Ganesha idols to decorative pieces and items that can be reused and environmentally safe, people are doing their every bit to save the environment.
This Ganesh Chaturthi if you are trying to make your contribution to celebrate the festival in an eco-friendly manner, then you can make your own Ganesha idols at home. Here are a few ways you can prepare your own Ganesha idols in an eco-friendly manner:
1. Clay Ganesha Idol
Clays are the best option to make your own Ganesha Idols at home. In our childhood, all of us made something or the other from clay while playing. Yes, it is that simple. Clays are soluble in water and do not cause any harm to the environment.
You can easily make Clay idols at home and the best thing is you do not need any fancy clay or complicated tools to make them. You just need to follow these simple steps to make your own Ganesha Idol from clay:
- Prepare a clay dough by mixing the clay and water together.
- Divide the clay dough into segments to make different body parts accordingly.
- Give shape to smaller body parts such as hands, legs, ears, trunk etc. And then according to those shapes prepare the base of bigger body parts like the stomach and head proportionally.
- Attach all the body parts together carefully.
- To maintain the posture, put a stick or a toothpick in the middle. Doing so helps your idol with support so it does not break from anywhere.
- Since the basic structure of your idol is ready, you can do the rest of the detailing such as shaping the eyes and jewellery with the help of a toothpick.
2. Ganesha Idol Made of Almond
One of the best ways to celebrate any festival is to celebrate it in a healthy manner. It is one of the most creative ways to prepare your idol that you can consume later as a prasad or you can distribute it among needy people. Creating a Ganesha idol from Almond is very simple. Just follow these steps to get started:
- Start by drawing a rough sketch of Ganesha on a piece of paper. It is always necessary to make an outline before proceeding to the final fixing of the almonds. So that you can fix the shape whenever necessary.
- Once the outline is ready, quickly fill the almonds inside it. Yes, that’s how simple it is.
Pro Tip: To fix almonds make sure you use food-grade adhesive so that you can consume the almonds later. And instead of taking paper for the base, you can also use edible cutlery which is easily available in the market.
3. Rice Flour Ganesha Idol
You don’t need to collect any fancy or expensive things to make your idol at home. You can prepare it with basic ingredients like rice flour also which is easily available in every Indian household. Making an Idol from rice flour is as simple as a clay idol. The process is also the same for preparing the Rice Flour idol, you just need to keep in mind these few things:
- While preparing the dough, don’t forget to mix the oil so that it doesn’t get sticky.
- To decorate the idols, you can use other kitchen items like cardamom, black pepper, chocolates, lentils and many more.
- You can also use turmeric powder to paint your idol yellow.
Pro Tip: Do not use any ingredient that can possibly cause harm such as chilli powders.
4. Seashell Ganesha Idols
If you want to go a little more creative to make your Ganesha idol then you can try making it with seashells. All you need is a good collection of sea shells comprising different sizes and colours.
- Arrange seashells of different sizes in an order to form the body structure of lord Ganesha.
- Stick together all the body parts of the idol with the help of glue or any other adhesive product.
- Paint the idol with beautiful colours to make it more attractive.
- For more details, you can add small beads to the idol to give it a more perfect look.
5. Chocolate Ganesha Idols
Chocolate-made Ganesha Idols are the most popular among people. Since you can consume the chocolates afterwards, it will produce no waste and is 100% eco-friendly. You can prepare your own chocolate idol by following these simple steps:
- Melt the chocolate and prepare the dough adding some powdered biscuits and cream.
- Refrigerate your dough for 30-40 minutes so you can give it a proper shape.
- Brush the idol with coconut oil or cream to make it a smoother look.
- If you want you can use edible sprinkles to make it more beautiful.
This Ganesh Chaturthi gets ready to celebrate the festival with a whole new approach and in an eco-friendly style. Try these creative and unique ideas to innovate and shape your loving Lord Ganesha.